Restaurant Gish

Claimed
    $$$$ New American, Korean
    Closed6:00 PM - 10:00 PM

Updated by business owner over 3 months ago

Updates From This Business

Reservation
    Reservation

December and January reservations are available now!

Menu

Popular dishes

Highlights from the Business

HEALTHY_DINING

Healthy dining

ROMANTIC_VIBE

Romantic vibe

LOCALLY_OWNED_OPERATED

Locally owned & operated

CASUAL_DINING

Casual dining

CERTIFIED_PROFESSIONALS

Certified professionals

OUTDOOR_SEATING_SPONSORED

Outdoor seating

People also searched for

Location & Hours

Map

1998 Homestead Rd

Ste 113

Santa Clara, CA 95050

Mon

• Closed

Tue

• 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM

Wed

Thu

Closed now

Fri

Sat

Sun

• 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM

Amenities and More

About the Business

Korean-American restaurant serving consistently changing seasonal oriented menu.…

Ask the Community

• Q:

I'm looking to book a party of 25 on 5/8/24 at 5:30 or 6 pm will you be able to accommodate?

A:

No answers yet. Answer this question
    • Q:

What's the dress code for dinner? Casual or formal? Thanks!

A:

We don't have dress code ! We are casual restaurant! Feel free!

Restaurant G., Business Owner 
      1 year ago 1 person found this helpful

Recommended Reviews

Photo of Username
    Username
    Choose a star rating on a scale of 1 to 5
    • 1 star rating
      Not good
    • 2 star rating
      Could’ve been better
    • 3 star rating
      OK
    • 4 star rating
      Good
    • 5 star rating
      Great
    Start your review of Restaurant Gish

Overall rating

269 reviews

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

1 star

• Photo of Hannah Y.
      Hannah Y.
      CA, CA
      Apr 10, 2024

Food was amazing here. We came today (April 2024) and I would consider the menu to be traditional fine dining with Korean flavors and techniques. Every bite was delicious and every plate was stunning. The service was incredible and the wine pairing superb. I highly recommend this gem of a place which I would never suspect across the street from my eye doctor! I can't wait to come back to try new monthly menus.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Vanessa N.
      Vanessa N.
      San Jose, CA
      Apr 29, 2024

Out of the 3 times I've dined here, the April 2024 menu has been my favorite so far. Dinner was $79 a person, but it varies by menu. This is what I ate:

- Spring market crudités: composed of raw and pickled seasonal veggies anchored with green garlic mook (acorn jelly) and two sauces (one that tasted like soy sauce and one that was green, light and tangy). Puffed buckwheat provided some extra texture. We were instructed to drag the veggies through the sauces. It was fresh and fun. I loved the bites with pickled lemon cucumber and green garlic mook.
      - English pea jeon and jjang: a Korean-style pancake bursting with peas and topped with more peas, pea sprouts, and yogurt. It was crisp on the outside and soft inside. The yogurt added a nice tang and lightness to the dish. The fermented black bean sauce added an extra punch of savoriness. Definitely one of my favorite dishes of the night!
      - Rack of lamb with gangdoenjang: the lame was tender and not gamey. The trimmed asparagus was perfectly snappy. The barley was perfectly cooked and extra tasty soaked in the gangdoenjang sauce.
      - Cascade truffle potato pureé with sweetbreads: this was an additional $24 and a fun, indulgent side for the lamb. The sweetbreads were fried to perfection and not off-putting (I'm not an offal fan). The combo of black truffle slices and pickled garlic scapes + delicate greens had me coming back for more.
      - Sweet potato ice cream: quenelle of ice cream with sweet potato skin chip, meringue, gochujang, blood orange, and bergamot. I liked how crisp the sweet potato skin chip was. The spice from the gochujang added a nice contrast. It was good, but I do get bored of the ice cream + crunchy elements combo.

I'll definitely return to Restaurant Gish. The food is elevated but unpretentious. It's fun to experience Korean flavors in creative ways. The service is great, I enjoy talking to their chefs. They're enthusiastic about their craft and I appreciate that they take time to answer questions about dishes. They also do their best to accommodate allergies; make sure you leave a note in your reservation. It's a great place to have a special occasion meal or to treat yourself. I always leave full and happy.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 1
    • Photo of Katrina C.
      Katrina C.
      San Jose, CA
      Apr 17, 2024
      1 check-in

I finally had the opportunity to check out Restaurant Gish! I've had the place bookmarked for a while after reading one of my friend's reviews. Due to dietary preferences (i.e. I don't eat pork), I patiently waited for a menu that didn't appear to have pork as an ingredient.

The restaurant was cozy and quaint, and it's kind of in an obscure location in a strip mall. I treated myself to dinner at Restaurant Gish and had an overall wonderful experience. I made reservations for 1 at the Chef's counter. What was cool was that the other guest at the counter was also treating herself for dinner and had never been to Restaurant Gish.

The hospitality of the chefs were exceptional. They were all very pleasant and personable. In addition to sharing their inspiration and ingredients for each dish, they were fun just fun to chat with. Prior to serving the first dish, one of the chefs asked about my dietary preferences. I mentioned that I don't eat pork. He pointed out how one of the sauces had a sauce base, but he said they could modify the sauce without pork in order to comply with my preference. In fact, I learned that they modify ingredients all the time for guests. I don't have to wait so long for a menu without pork next time.

Restaurant Gish offered a prix fixe menu. I opted for the wine pairings, which I thought went quite well with each dish. The last two wines paired with the entree and dessert were particularly outstanding. I enjoyed everything I ate, but I especially loved the lamb.

Helpful 4
      Thanks 1
      Love this 2
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Dong T.
      Dong T.
      Irvine, CA
      Mar 23, 2024

If u know u know. The food here is always a surprise and absolutely exquisite. I have been here twice and each time was amazing. The service is top notch and they explain each dish.
      We also got the wine pairing which elevated the meal even more.
      For the price, nothing beats this for such a wonderful and intelligently made course.
      The ambiance was intimate and lovely the moment you step in.
      My favorite was the roe egg asparagus with potatoes.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 1
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Eugene W.
      Mar 20, 2024

Wagyu Carpaccio: The wagyu beef wasn't actually as tender as I would have expected. The cherry tomato soy dressing was delicious, but everything else was a bit average.

Asparagus & Myeongnan Jeot (cured pollock roe): I loved the cured pollock roe! Really flavorful and went nicely with the eggs and asparagus.

Samgyetang Gooyi: Chicken breast was quite tender, and sauce was pretty good.

Chicken Jook: Nice homey dish. Umami. Morel mushrooms were a great addition for more flavor.

Kiwi Trifle: Great dessert to end the night. Really balanced in terms of sweetness and all the different flavors.

All of the dishes were solid, but nothing really stood out and wowed me. Solid 4*.

Staff were very nice! They came to talk to us throughout the night. Ambiance was great as well. I love the open kitchen concept, and everything about this restaurant feels homey. From the interior to the service to the food.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 1
      Oh no 1
    • Photo of Ellin C.
      Ellin C.
      San Jose, CA
      Mar 14, 2024

Restaurant Gish is the ish
      You can't go wrong with any dish
      Best place to come for a birthday wish
      Or date night hangouts with your buddies
      Wine pairings were the highlight
      A visit will satisfy your creative Korean fusion itch
      Ambience was like sitting in a cute library bistro
      Menu changed monthly so they'll keep you on your toes

Helpful 1
      Thanks 0
      Love this 1
      Oh no 1
    • Photo of Kelley S.
      Kelley S.
      San Jose, CA
      Mar 2, 2024
      1 check-in

Came here with a friend for dinner on a Saturday night! I definitely recommend looking ahead for reservations, this spot is super hot right now so reservation slots go out fast!
      I love the interior it's so cozy and warm, I love the exposed kitchen. I loved hearing and seeing the chefs create each course, it was such a cool experience. The menu itself was also pretty well curated. As a Korean I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to Korean Fusion, but the tteok guk was such a creative and cool way to Americanize/modernize the traditional soup. I also loved the salmon Tataki, the quality of the fish was super buttery, and the dill and crème added a freshness to the rich fish.
      I would highly recommend this place for a nice dinner out.

Helpful 1
      Thanks 0
      Love this 1
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Sammy L.
      Sammy L.
      San Jose, CA
      Jan 23, 2024

Wonderful time tonight here! They have an open kitchen and a really warm friendly staff!

We brought in two kids that are 6 and they were very accommodating. The set menu is laid out beautifully, everything that came out was delicious and flavorful. I added the wine pairing and the pours are generous. The portion size was just right!

Make your reservations in advance and experience this Korean fine dining treat. I wish I knew about this sooner, I'd definitely come again. The monthly menu change is not easy to do, they have nailed it! My favorite was the duck, it was cooked perfectly and so juicy! The wines that they chose paired well with every course. The parking is easy and it truly is a hidden gem. Come celebrate a special night!

Helpful 5
      Thanks 0
      Love this 4
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Kasumi M.
      Kasumi M.
      West San Jose, San Jose, CA
      May 1, 2024

I am genuinely disappointed I never got to experience this establishment since I was called at 10pm night before my reservation date to change my reservation.
      The reason was due to us being the only one dining at 8pm and we will have the restaurant to ourselves. I felt like that was a very odd request and quickly made me feel we are not welcomed. I guess the chefs and staff wanted to go home early?
      I booked this for a birthday dinner and they were fully aware of it as well.
      I just hope in the future the restaurant will ask the customer how they will feel about having the whole restaurant rather than telling me I will be uncomfortable. I am sure I am a rare case, food looks great and other reviewers are happy. I just wanted to share my disappointment tonight.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Christina M.
      Christina M.
      San Francisco, CA
      Mar 17, 2024

This is a set menu dinner at a small restaurant that serves Korean fushion. This place was hard to book reservations but they had some kind of last minute cancellation so they were able to get us in.

The dishes were all presented nicely and each dish was eccentric~

The host is super nice and patient with us since we were a party of 4 and we had a guests that wasn't able to make it on time.

They describe each dish carefully to us

The ice tea we ordered look super pretty and the presentation is awesome for all the dishes

Helpful 0
      Thanks 1
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0

4 other reviews that are not currently recommended

Collections Including Restaurant Gish

People Also Viewed

Restaurant Gish is a Yelp advertiser.